Introducing IATF 16949:2016 and its Relationship to ISO 9001:2015
What is IAFT 16949
IATF 16949:2016 (IATF 16949) is a Quality Management System (QMS) designed for the automotive sector. IAFT 16949 supersedes ISO/TS 16949:2009.
IATF 16949 was originally created in 1999 by the International Automotive Task Force to harmonise the different assessments and certification systems prevalent across the automotive sector.
IATF introduced a common set of techniques and methods for common product and process development.
The goal of IAFT 16949 is to continue improvement, defect prevention and the reduction of variation and waste in the supply chain.
Who is it for
IATF:16949 is for organisations that supply parts and services to the automotive sector.
IATF 16949 is for organisations that:
- Produce parts for an automotive production line.
- Produce parts that indirectly impact an automotive production line.
- Undertakes any activities that could impact an automotive production line.
- Are required to provide assurances to the clients in the automotive sector.
- Wish to enhance the quality of the products and services they supply to the automotive sector.
- Wish to enter the autorotative sector.
- Wish to grow and/or expand their range or products and services.
What is its Relationship to ISO 9001
IATF16949 cannot be considered a standalone QMS standard. It can only be implemented in conjunction with ISO 9001:2015. The clauses of IATF 16949 follow Annex SL and run parallel ISO 9001:2015, with enhanced focus and requirements for each clause.
What is the Purpose of this series of Blogs
The purpose of this blog so to provide an overview of the Standard and its requirements. Throughout the series we will follow the core principles of IATF 16949 and consider approaches to meet them, the pitfalls you might experience and the resources you may need.
We would also ask you to consider obtaining a copy of the standard. This can be purchased from BSI:
Blogs in this series
The series of blogs will follow the core principles of the Standard:
- Customer focus
- Engagement of people
- Process approach
- Evidence-based decision making
- Relationship management
If you have any questions relating to IATF: 16949 or would like to arrange for one of our experienced consultants to visit you for a no obligation chat about IATF: 16949 please do not hesitate to get in touch.
By Oliver Leaney
AvISO Consultancy – Part of a series entitled: Introducing IATF 16949:2016 and its Relationship to ISO 9001:2015