Off-site assets should be protected.
The goal of these measures is to ensure that the assets remain confidential, integrity, and available, even when they are not physically under the control of the company.
There are several measures that organizations can take to protect devices that store or process information outside the organization's premises:
- Encrypt the data on the devices: This can help protect the data from being accessed by unauthorized individuals, even if the device is lost or stolen.
- Use strong passwords and authentication methods: This can help prevent unauthorized access to the devices and the data they contain.
- Use secure networks when accessing the devices remotely: This can help prevent unauthorized individuals from intercepting the data being transmitted over the network.
- Implement strict access controls: This can help ensure that only authorized individuals have access to the devices and the data they contain.
- Regularly backup the data on the devices: This can help protect against data loss in the event of a device failure or other problem.
- Monitor the devices for signs of security breaches: This can help identify potential security issues and take action to address them before they cause any damage.